Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ladies

People are always telling me that I would love LA - in the same way that they might not care for a movie but think I would love it - thanks. I haven't been yet but there is an invitation to a very luxe wedding in May, may be difficult with the baby...
Anyways, while doing a search for Flannery O'Connor I came across these two bloggers - Tarnished Lady & The Moldy Doily - who would be my ideal friends if I lived in LA. They represent to me the combo of smarts with the I don't take myself to seriously mystical magicality fun of an invented oasis.

I was searching for Flannery O'Connor as I read an excellent quote by her (pointed out by my friend Heather M) in our last book club book Out: "The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience..."

The book Out was a gory but good read, I would not have picked it out or read any crime fiction if it weren't for book club (why I love book club). I now feel as though I too have been a dreary woman working in a depressing boxed lunch factory in Japan who has both murdered and been an accomplice to murder - Natsuo Kirino is good with the details.

No comments: